Monday, March 9, 2009

What Happens When We Un-circle the Wagons?

Since spring break is coming and I will not have a chapel service next Sunday, I am taking the liberty of veering away from the lectionary text this week. And yes, I do feel somewhat naughty for doing that! One of the great blessings in working in religious life on a college campus is that one may have the opportunity to engage folks of other, or no, religious traditions more often than one may have the opportunity to do in the parish. Such is the case on this campus. We have a thriving collection of religious traditions here. Those with organized groups include Christian (Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox), Jewish, Muslim and soon, Hindu. We also have a small group of Buddhists who are trying to get together for regular meditation. We created an Interfaith Council three years ago, and it has become a catalyst for interfaith dialogue and cooperation. Students tend to be more willing to step outside of their own comfort zones to learn about the religious traditions and truths of others. Thanks to some discussions we had during a visit by the Interfaith Youth Core, I have a better grasp on the purpose and promise of inviting persons to the table who would consider themselves agnostic and atheist. Yes, all of this has to do with getting over the need to feel protective of one's religious tradition or territory. Our religious traditions survived for hundreds of years before we arrived on the scene, and they will live on long after we go. I have good friends who do not understand my seeming preoccupation with this interfaith work. Am I not happy as a Christian? Is not the Christian faith enough for me? Well, those are fair questions, and I guess the answer to both is a qualified "no." I am not happy when the Christan Church seems to function as a club for the "haves" and a way to inspire envy and jealousy in the "have nots." And if Christianity means that I should not be in dialogue with those of other faith traditions, yea, if it insists that my religion is the only true way, then perhaps it is not for me.
Happily, I remain a devoted Christian, because I perceive Christian faith as being much more concerned with opening doors than with closing them. And frankly, I am happier because I can admit that Christianity is not about me only, but about all of God's creation. And, I have become a better Christian, a more thoughtful person of faith because I have had regular conversations with persons of other faith traditions. I feel less necessity to work circling the wagons to preserve orthodoxy than others may think that I should. Our future in exploring
multifaith traditions and conversations on this campus is beckoning, and it promises to be a great ride. I wouldn't miss it for the world!

No comments: