Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Summer is a Time for Reading

I don't know about you, but summertime is a great time for me to do some free reading. Since classes have ended, I have more time to read, though I still work at the office daily. I have read through most of Parting the Waters: America in the King Years, 1954-1963 by Taylor Branch. It is volume I of a trilogy, and the other books, Pillar of Fire: America in the King Years, 1963-1965 and At Canaan's Edge: America in the King Years, 1965 - 1968 are waiting on my night stand.
I tend to have several books going at once, as do many other folks. I am also reading Jesus Was a Liberal by Scotty McClennan. So far, I have found it refreshing to read someone who, also a university chaplain, thinks in many ways as do I. I also picked up recently I Was a Stranger: A Christian Theology of Hospitality by Arthur Sutherland. Another volume that I intend to get through before school starts is Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies by David Bentley Hart. Hart is a scholar who takes on Hitchens, Dawkins and others and states that their "revolutionary" arguments are nothing new.It's a deep read, so I will breathe deeply while wading through it.
If you have a favorite book that others who look at this blog may find of interest, please comment and we can all read it there. Have a great summer and happy reading to you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read a book called "The Longest Trip Home." by John Grogan recently.
It is an autobiography of a man who grew up in a strongly Catholic household, but he found that despite his parents best efforts, the faith and fervor that came so effortlessly to them somehow had eluded him.
Check it out.