Thursday, October 22, 2009

True Reformation: Peace! Job 42:16 and Mark 10:46-52

I have never been one to really celebrate Reformation Sunday, as I think it focuses too much on the differences between Protestants and Catholics, and Protestants and Protestants. But I think the use of the word "reformation" can be quite instructive this week. As has been true for the past seven years, at least, we are engaged in war. Much ink has been spilled of late speculating on whether or not we will, or should, pull out of Afghanistan. Fortunately, I don't have to make such far-reaching decisions in the course of a given year. But many people of faith have opinions on both sides of the issue when it comes to matters of war and peace. I think that the scriptures for the day can be helpful as we try to wend our way through the issues.
Although the lesson from Job for the week features Job's humble response to God's chastising in the previous two chapters, I want to go back to those chapters. In them, the Lord utters the following interrogative: "And the Lord said to Job: 2“Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? Anyone who argues with God must respond.” 3Then Job answered the Lord: 4“See, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. 5I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but will proceed no further.” 6Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind: 7“Gird up your loins like a man; I will question you, and you declare to me. 8Will you even put me in the wrong? Will you condemn me that you may be justified?
Job was asking, quite rightly, according to our ways of looking at things, about the horrible condition of his life of late. Who cannot sympathize with poor Job and his state of utter destitution. But the Lord does not offer sympathy, but a question: "So, are you so smart that you know how I do what I do?"Job, realizing that the universe was just a bit beyond his comprehension, spake thus: Then Job answered the Lord: 2“I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. 3‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. 4‘Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you declare to me.’ 5I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; 6therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.”
This story unsettles us, because we think that Job deserved an explanation, and he did not get one. So, perhaps our thinking can stand a bit of reformation? Let's move on to the story of Bartimaeus. Despite the calls of everyone around him to shut up, Bartimaeus, who was a blind beggar, called after Jesus. Jesus called back and asked that he come over to him. There is no placing spittle or mud in his eyes, no bathing in healing waters. When Jesus observed the man's sincerity, he told him to go on his way, for his faith had made him whole.
Both of these stories contain elements that lead us to understand that our thinking about life, death, God, etc, is in need of reforming. War continues to exist because people of faith still look at it as an acceptable alternative, and we sometimes attempt to remake Jesus in the image on one who thinks as we do. So, we need to read the Lord's response to Job and Job's response to the Lord, over and over again. Can we admit that we don't really understand God's ways and that we should, perhaps, spend more time in contemplation and prayer before we take actions that we think are justified by our faith? Bartimaeus got it right, when all those around him did not. Though Jesus told him to go on his way, for his faith had made him whole, he continued to follow. We should go and do likewise!

No comments: