Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In Times Like These.......

As I gaze out my office window, I see bright red tulips blooming, and the trees have begun to leaf out. If I look out the hall windows just outside my office door, I see a gorgeous weeping wild cherry tree in its full floral regalia. Looking at my computer screen, I read accounts of the horrific bombing in Boston on Monday. Glancing at my calendar, I see a "hold" for a memorial service that I will conduct in less than a week. So, this spring is one of life, and death, of indescribable beauty and agonizing tragedy. This spring season is a microcosm of life, isn't it? As members of a faith community, we are called to believe in life in the face of death, and hope in the midst of despair. There have been countless people throughout the centuries who have asked, "How can a loving God allow such things to happen?" I have no doubt that many people are asking themselves the same question today. But it's the wrong question, it really is. We are the people of God and we were created in God's image. But some people do terrible things, and others die for no good reason, and yet, we remain God's people. Don't hesitate to ask God "Why?" in your prayers and meditations. God knows of our sadness and frustration before we even ask, and better than anyone, God knows why we ask. But don't expect to be able to make sense of tragedy, because sometimes, most times, tragedy makes no sense. Random acts of violence appear to serve a purpose only in the minds of those who commit them. We will never be able to resolve the sense of unfairness and outrage that we may feel when something bad happens in our lives, or in the lives of those we love. Our faith tells us not to respond to violence in kind, but that is not a popular option. How are we to believe that good can prevail when so much that happens around us seems to indicate otherwise? Remember the events of Holy Week and of Easter, and against all evidence to the contrary, believe in God's providential care and love. After all, what are the other options that will not cause us to be consumed with hate and thoughts of revenge? There is a quote I heard once, and I don't know who wrote it, but it has given me immense comfort over the years. In these uncertain times, remember these words: "When you come to the end of all of the light you know, and stand at the edge of darkness, faith says that one of two things will happen: either you will step onto something solid, or you will be taught to fly."

No comments: