Thursday, November 8, 2012

Enough Already!

Well, the election is over, and some are relieved and others are heartsick. I respect people's right to disagree about politics, and I even encourage it. But I draw the line at those who continue to say that God's will was subverted and that America has decided that it does not want to be a faithful nation for another four years. Just today I have read two statements by two clergy that seem to indicate that real Christians would have never voted for President Obama.I have to be honest: I was disappointed in Obama's first term, with some of the decisions that he made, or did not make. He was, to my way of thinking, too timid. But he pushed through healthcare for all Americans, and advocated for the full rights of all people, including members of the GLBT community. Sorry for my friends who will be disappointed to hear me say it, but I think those and other decisions are wholly keeping with what Christian faith is all about. I AM a Christian, and I DID vote for Democratic candidates. I did so, not because they are perfect or because they have all of the answers. I did so because I feel that they, at least, really do have a philosophy and real-politic that favors the poor and middle class. Since when did advocacy for fair housing, assistance for the poor and hungry, and the inclusion of ALL people become anti-Christian activities? When I registered to vote, I chose the party of my parents. That lasted through two presidential voting cycles, and then I realized that I did not share the values of my party. As a Christian I will always go with those who advocate for the outsiders, who don't just accept the status quo as good enough. Both political parties are corrupt, and I long for a serious third party. But our system will never allow that, so we have to make the best of what we have. I will no longer remain silent when another Christian derides me or anyone else who is anti-gun violence, pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-human rights for all, in favor of universal health care and against our bloated defense budget. Those are not political decisions, they are decisions that reflect my beliefs as a Christian. I do not agree with other Christians who take opposing stands, but I will never question their commitment to their faith, and they need to stop questioning mine. I have read the scriptures and the creeds and traditions of the Church. I stand on solid ground! I have had enough.

No comments: