Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hold Your Head High! Mark 12: 38-44

The Gospel for this coming Sunday comes from Mark 12:38-44, the story of the widow's mite. Jesus commented on the contrast between the priests in their long, flowing robes, and the poor woman who came forward and placed her offering in the collection box. He was impressed because she contributed out of her poverty, not out of plenty. I think I had always envisioned the woman as beaten down by life, and meekly coming forth, looking at the ground, as she placed her offering in the box, and then quickly walking away. But then I thought about parishioners I have known, and I can think of several, male and female, who fit the description of the poor widow. The people whom I have known did not approach church timidly, and did not hide when the offering plate came 'round, but contributed proudly, from their hearts. In my first parish, no one in the church could have been considered wealthy, and yet, the church paid its bills. I remember being embarrassed by the generosity of the people towards me, their young pastor. Christmas and birthday gifts of cash, and wedding gifts for my wife and me. And when our daughter was born, quilts and handmade dolls and cash came our way. These people were proud of their community and their church, and they were not ashamed of their stations in life. They were simple people, capable of great love. So, remembering their example, I think that the poor woman in Mark's tale walked confidently to the offering box, and dropped in her coin, and did not look at the ground, but walked confidently, knowing she had given all that she could give. In her heart, at least, she had no reason to feel like a second-class citizen, even though, in that time and place, she most certainly was treated as one. We need to remember that, in the eyes of God, our best is often good enough. And that assurance can enable us to do great things.

No comments: