Friday, December 21, 2012

A Christmas Wish

Christmas has become a time for wishes, of dreaming about things that we want. Sadly, Christmas has become more about us, and less about the One whose arrival it is supposed to celebrate. We wish one another a Merry Christmas, probably without stopping to think what it means to say that. The child who arrived in our world so long ago did not remain a child. Nor did he say what people wanted, or expected, him to say. He walked a difficult road, thought about others almost exclusively, and allowed his life to be taken from him, on behalf of others. This is the One we should be celebrating this holiday season. But, alas, it is not. I watched a news program last night that encouraged people to buy more gifts, even if they did not have the money, so that the economy could flourish. I read in today's paper that not one of our local government officials thinks that any new gun laws should be passed in the wake of the Newtown tragedy. It is so easy to become discouraged these days, because it seems that, for many who call themselves Christian, the faith means some form of patriotic affirmation, not a prophetic proclamation. But I remain an optimist, and believe that the Christian message will come to its full fruition someday. I doubt that I will live to see it, but, perhaps something I do in my life will give someone else the energy and inspiration to keep on keeping on. I know that is what keeps me going. I can think of so many whose example of selfless service and true devotion to the cause of the Christian faith have inspired me. I do believe that the message of Christmas is a life- changing and world-renewing one. So, in wishing you a Merry Christmas, I am affirming that God is still at work, in you and me. Therefore, hope endures and it is a good holiday season. Peace to you and yours, and may you, and I, never get comfortable with our faith.

No comments: