Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Would the Prince of Peace Be For or Against Gun Control?

Now that I have your attention, I admit that the question asked above is foolish. How can we project our societal ills back over two-thousand years? Sadly, folks on many sides of all manner of social issues have been doing just that for years. Since Jesus had no idea what a gun is since guns did not exist back then, nor did gun powder, the question is moot. But if we ask whether Jesus would approve of our bent towards violence, the question becomes at least a bit easier to address. Jesus did address the concept of violence on more than one occasion: there is the infamous "Turn the other cheek" reference, as well as his dressing down of the disciple who took a sword and cut off the ear of the Roman soldier in the garden. I have to wonder, though, if Jesus was to appear in the flesh and ask if we have any questions, and we ask what he thinks of violence, just what would his response be? Would he shake his head and walk away, as if we should not even have to ask the question? Would he admit that times have changed greatly since his time on earth and so the ways we must protect ourselves also have to change? I imagine that any one of us could fashion a response by Jesus that would suit our world view. But the truth is, we cannot command him to appear and have it happen. So, the best we can do is to seek to understand truly what he taught, and then do our best to apply it to our lives. So, when I say that I am opposed to private ownership of guns, which I am, I cannot claim that Jesus told me to hold that opinion. However, I can say that I cannot reconcile the personal possession of a handgun with the Gospel of peace as I understand it. You can disagree with me, and we can call it a draw. But each one of us will walk away convinced that his or her view is the correct one. During this season when we prepare to welcome the Prince of Peace, I think it is a good time to think about our propensity toward violence in all forms. We have lost a salient part of the message of the Christ, and it is probably easier to argue about whose opinion is the correct one than it is to work to arrive at what will prove to be God's will. Of course, that is subjective as well, so there would have to be some manner of measuring whose way is the one connected to God's will. How about this one: the violence stops!

No comments: